The Sherborne Arms is on the main Burford to Bibury B4425 road just outside the village. The building dates back to the 17th century and it was originally a farmhouse or smallholding.
In the 1891 and 1903 licensing books of Gloucestershire pubs the Sherborne Arms is recorded as being a tied house of Tayler’s Cotswold Brewery in Northleach. The Tayler family also had connections with Aldsworth. J.W. Tayler is recorded as a brewer at Aldsworth in 1856 and 1863.
The Cirencester Brewery purchased the Sherborne Arms on 11th April 1921. Presumably the pub was on the market following the acquisition of the Tayler’s Cotswold Brewery by the Cheltenham Original Brewery in 1919. It is surprising that the Cheltenham brewery did not purchase the Sherborne Arms as part of the take-over.
The Sherborne Arms passed into the ownership of Simonds Brewery of Reading when the Cirencester Brewery was taken over in 1937. In turn, Simonds was acquired by Courage, Barclay & Co. in 1960 and in recent memory the Sherborne Arms was a Courage Brewery pub.
Today the Sherborne Arms is renowned for its food. See their website for more details.
Owner in 1891: Tayler & Co, Cotswold Brewery, Northleach
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Tayler & Co, Cotswold Brewery, Northleach
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
CAMRA Good Beer Guide: Listed in 1984,1985
Landlords at the Sherborne Arms include:
1885 Geo. Keylock
1891 Charles Collett
1902.1903 Robert Hayward
1906 William Porter
1913 J. Waine (Mr) ?- (listed in 1913 with no name of premises)
1919 Henry John Field
1927,1939 Thomas William Crook
2000 John O’Keefe