The Shepherds Patch Inn was what is now Patch Farm on the south side of the lane running parallel with the canal. In 1835 the Shepherds Patch Inn was owned by Joseph Watts of the Stroud Brewery. It was sold on 17th July 1857 to Henry King.
In 1871 Henry King built the Patch Bridge Hotel on another piece of land he owned on the north side of the lane and the licence was transferred to the new property. In the 1871 census Alfred Haviland was an inn keeper at the Patch Bridge Inn ‘and a hotel was under construction.’
1838,1861 James Haviland (aged 65 in 1861)
1871 Alfred Haviland (aged 33)