The Shearmans Arms was originally in Ludgate Hill on the left corner at the very bottom, on the same side as the Glaziers Arms. It later moved across the road to the site of the Co-Operative stores at the foot of Ludgate Hill in School Road where it finally closed in 1975. The ‘West Country Ales‘ wall plaque is still in situ’ to the left of the doorway.
Musical entertainment in the pub was an electric vinyl record player which stood at one end of the bar.
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £8.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Present status: Private residence
Brewery heritage: A West Country Ales Plaque and decorative etched pub window remain in situ
Landlords at the Shearmans Arms include:
1755 Samuel Hall
1820,1830 Edward Gwynn
1842 William Hedges
1849 Thomas Furley
1863,1867 Owen Burford
1875,1889 John Gay (aged 41 in 1875. Listed as a pig dealer in 1879)
1891,1902,1903 Sarah Gay (Sarah was aged 57 in 1891, wife of John)
1906,1910 Joseph W. Dillimore
1916 John Cole
1919,1923 George Pulley
1927,1939 Joseph Anthony Coppola
- Charlie Cook was the last landlord, when the pub closed in 1975 he retired.