The Shakespeare is listed at 33 High Street in the Kellys 1939 Gloucestershire directory. It was located by Smiths Lane, almost opposite Trinity Street.
The landlord in 1891, Joseph Jupp, may have had connections with Jupp & Meyer (see Brewery section).
B. Linnell in his book ‘Public Houses of Tewkesbury Borough’ (1972) writes: “The front was brick built throughout, though on an older frame. Two ground floor windows illuminated the public bar and there were other rooms to the rear across the full width of the site, after the fashion of its immediate neighbour –the Barrel. There was a rear access in Back of Avon. This house fulfilled more of the requirements of an inn that many a more romantically named place. Full board was available for a mere fifty shillings weekly, during the years before the Second World War, and Bed and Breakfast was just six shillings nightly. Trade in the second half of the century fell off, however, not even the benefits of extra trading time on market days providing a good enough margin of profit. Closure took effect in 1964 and demolition followed in 1971.
Map Reference: SO 893329
Owner in 1891: Tewkesbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £37.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £44.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse (six day licence, presumably closed on Sundays)
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Shakespeare Inn include:
1863,1865 Joseph Firkins
1865,1868 Charlotte Firkins (widow)
1881 Thomas A. Barrington
1888 E.H. Barnes
1888-1896 Joseph Jupp
1896,1906 Arnold Halsey
1916-1917 Thomas William Maxwell
1917-1922 Albert Summers Lampitt
1922-1927 Harry Sayers
1927-1932 James Franklin
1932-1933 Amos Harrison
1933-1936 Thomas Cordy
1936-1938 James Moor
1938-1953 Albert Hy. Berry
1953-1964 Ivor Brown