The Seven Tuns was once tied to the Cirencester Brewery. When the Cirencester Brewery was acquired by Simonds the beers were supplied from Reading. Simonds was then taken over by Courage with beers sourced from the old Georges’ Brewery in Bristol.
In 2000 the Bristol brewery was closed down and the pub was sold off by Courage. Smiles of Bristol then acquired the Seven Tuns. Smiles was a highly respected small Bristol brewery which was established in the 1970’s. Unfortunately their rapid expansion of their tied estate caused financial problems and an announcement was made on 10th November 2000 that Smiles was to sell its pub estate to Young & Co’s Brewery of Wandsworth, London.
In the last two decades or so there have been many changes at the Seven Tuns, including a period of closure and changes of ownership. The story will be brought up to date with more information on the pub in a future update.
Map Reference: SP 053122
Owner in 1891: Cripps & Co., Cirencester Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d. (includes two acres of land)
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Seven Tuns include:
1851 Robert Wilson
1861,1881 (William Glover Wilson in 1871)
1891 William Bridges
1903 Mildred Bridges
1939 Arthur Pinchin
1978-1998 Brian Eacott (died Christmas Day 1998, aged 59)