The Seven Stars was a substantial stone built detached building at the bottom of the High Street, near the junction with Valley Road. A small lane by the side of the old pub connecting High Street and Valley Road is called Seven Stars Lane.
According to the 1891 Gloucestershire licensing book the Seven Stars was owned by ‘the trustees of John Embling’ but leased to Bailey & Co. This might refer to the company of R.B. Bailey who were brewers at the City Brewery, Quay Street, Gloucester. R.B. Bailey & Co. was offered for auction on the 14th November 1894 with fifteen public houses. By 1903 the Seven Stars alehouse was owned by the Alton Court Brewery of Ross on Wye. The rateable value per annum was set at £36.0s.0d. The Customers at the Seven Stars were able to enjoy their Alton Court beers until Stroud Brewery took over the company in 1956. The pub then became a West Country Breweries house.
In July 1957 Enoch Whittington, of the Severn Stars front pin skittles team, knocked down 52 pins with just 12 balls in four legs.
The Seven Stars closed in 1970. It is now in residential use. To the left of the front door is a distinct rectangular arrangement of bricks that has replaced the West Country Ales – Best in the West ceramic plaque that once graced the Seven Stars.
Landlords at the Seven Stars include:
1879 Milson Powell
1885 John Murray
1891 Edward Kirby
1894 Robert Hall
1902,1903 Oliver Brain (Oliver James Brain in 1903)
1906 Robert Taylor
1919,1927 Mrs Kate Palfrey
1939 Ben Voyce
1970 Clifford Weyman (upon closure of the pub moved to the Globe Inn)