In 1856 Henry Bennett bought the Post Office (occupied by Joseph Powis) and a blacksmiths shop with yard occupied by William Hopkins. In the first half of the 1870’s Henry Bennett pulled down the Post Office and house and built the Sawyers Arms on the site. He sold the Sawyers Arms to Playnes of Minchinhampton for £600 in about 1876. (the property cost just £60 in 1856).
Henry Bennett (landlord in the 1870’s) was also a master blacksmith. He died without making a will and apparently penniless in 1893. He is buried in Avening churchyard.
The Gloucester Citizen reported on 14th February 1907 that Avening had seven licensed houses with a population of 917 (one for every 131 persons). The Cross Inn was only 29 yards away. The license of the Sawyers Arms was refused.
Map Reference: ST 882979
Owner in 1891: George Playne & Sons, Forwood Brewery, Minchinhampton
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beer and Cider
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Sawyers Arms include:
1870’s Henry Bennett
1885 Thomas Holborow
1891 Henry Bennett
1902 Mrs Honor Dee (a widow aged 66)
1903,1906 Jabez Powell