The property was built as a private villa in 1846 and later became a boarding house for Cheltenham Ladies’ College. It was converted into a hotel in 1927 and became the Savoy Hotel in 1929.
The Beatles stayed at the Savoy Hotel when they played at the Odeon cinema in Winchcombe Street on November 2nd 1963.
An advert from 1971 describes the Savoy Hotel ‘set midst two acres of gardens. Well appointed bedrooms, all with telephone and central heating, any many with private bathroom. Restaurant. Late night grillroom. Lift to all floors.’
In March 1999 the Savoy Hotel was out up for sale and it opened one year later with a new name – Hotel Kandinsky, after the modern artist Wassilly Kandinsky.