Gloucester Journal: December 22nd, 1883 – Frank Robinson, of Columbia Street, was summoned for causing an obstruction in the public streets. PC Scrivens stated that defendant left his horse and cart unattended for an hour, while he was in the Saracen’s Head, Wine Vaults and The Three Cups. Fined 5s. and 1s. costs.

Located at 34 Eastgate Street in 1919 directory and latterly 23 Eastgate Street. The Saracens Head was completely rebuilt c.1890. The original pub was immediately to the east of the Bluecoat Hospital. It was a plain rendered building of no great architectural merit. The whole area was redeveloped and the Bluecoat Hospital was replaced by the Guildhall. The new Saracens Head was far more impressive. A contemporary description describes it as a ‘substantial brick built premises occupying an important position in this busy thoroughfare in the centre of the town with yard, stabling, etc. The property adjoins the Guildhall and is practically adjacent to the Gloucester Hippodrome.’

It was owned by Francis Wintle, Forest Brewery, Mitcheldean and it must have been their most impressive hotel. It traded until 1964 when it was demolished. A brochure of the Saracens Head during its last few years describes the hotel as ‘central, comfortable and popular. All public rooms are well lit and tastefully furnished. There are four bars, public, saloon, snug and lounge and a number of comfortable bedrooms each with hot and cold running water and electric fires. All beds are fitted with intersprung mattresses. Bed and breakfast available from 21/- per night for single and 42/- per night for double. Luncheon 5/6d to 7/6d. Dinner 6/- to 8/6d. Cars garaged for 1/- a night.’

The site of the old Saracens Head Hotel is now occupied by Primark.

The Saracens Head is on the extreme right.

Landlords at the Saracens Head include:

1830 William Walker

1856,1859 James Organ

1879 John King

1885 William George White

1893 H.W Ince

1902 John Cameron

1906 Miss E.E. Browne

1919 John Hanman

1927 Geo. Lambert

1936 H. Varney

1960’s T.E. Chard

Share this Page: