In the 1891 licensing book the premises is listed without having a name, but in 1903 it was referred to as the Royal Oak . The Wickwar Brewery (Arnold, Perrett & Co. Ltd.) were the owners. The Royal Oak had the status of a beer house but sales Wickwar Gold Medal Ales were limited to ‘jug and bottle’ and consumption was not permitted inside. The annual rateable value of the premises in 1891 and 1903 was £14.0s.0d. and closing time was at 10 pm.

Cheltenham Original Brewery acquired the Oak Inn in 1937. The sale particulars of that year specified that a water pump on the premises had to be made available for public use during daylight hours. In September 1939 Thomas Reid, licensee Royal Oak, was fined ten shillings on three counts of permitting liquor to be consumed on the premises and drinking it on common land. Hitherto it had been common practice for customers to stand just outside the door to enjoy their drinks.

Landlords / Keepers of the Royal Oak include:

1891 George Meek

1903 William Henry Jones

1939 Thomas Reid

Share this Page: