The Royal Oak, in Quay Street, was next to the Coach and Horses on the High Street side. It closed in 1917 under the terms of the Compensation Act. When it was sold in 1918 it realised £250.
Map Reference: SO 893330
Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £25.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1816 William Hawkley
1840 Mrs Ann Hawkley (widow)
1840-1841 Reuben Clifton
1841-1848 William Preece
1848-1879 Reuben Clifton
1879 Edward Davies
1885 Joseph Minett
1887-1888 J. Riste
1891,1916 Mrs Elizabeth Thornbury
1916 Alfred T. Thornbury