The Royal Oak was originally in a small row of cottages and was leased to the Cirencester Brewery. The Royal Oak was acquired by Arkells brewery of Stratton, Swindon, and the old pub was demolished and completely rebuilt in 1921. It is alleged that some of the old wooden beams come from Cirencester church.
Wilts & Glos Standard, 15th July 1999 – Threesome take over pub: A family team has taken over the Royal Oak pub on Oak Street, Lechlade. Michael and Lesley Hackett, along with their son Austin, took over the establishment two weeks ago from June Turner, who was the longest serving landlady of the brewery, Arkells.
The family have not moved far as they used to run the Three Horseshoes in Downington. “We’ve got our customers from the Three Horseshoes coming here and some of the old regulars are coming in as well,” said Mrs Hackett. The pub currently has three skittles teams but punters can look forward to Aunt Sally contests and Sunday roasts will be available from the pub. Energetic regulars can also enter the London to Brighton bike ride, in aid of the British Heart Foundation, which the Hacketts traditionally enter every year.
Wilts & Glos Standard, 13th April 2000 – Drinkers take to their bikes: Drinkers from several Cotswold pubs will be swapping pints for pedals to make money for charity this weekend. Teams from the Royal Oak, Lechlade, the Swan, Southrop, and the Plough, Kelmscott, will be taking part in a 30-mile bike ride for the British Heart Foundation, leaving their respective locals at 11am. They will be cycling to each other’s pubs plus the Axe & Compass, Kempsford, the Masons Arms, Meysey Hampton, and the Five Bells Broadwell, before cycling back to their local.
The ride has been organised by the Royal Oak’s landlord and landlady, Michael and Lesley Hackett, along with pub regular Barry Aylett-Warner. The Hacketts, and their two sons Nicholas 25, and Austin, 24, are keen cyclists and regularly take part in the London to Brighton and Ridgeway rides but wanted to arrange something closer to home. They hope to raise about £500 for the charity.
The Royal Oak boasts superb Arkells ‘Entire’ etched window.
June Turner who retired in July 1999 was Arkell’s longest serving landlady in recent years being at the pub for over 35 years.
The Royal Oak closed its doors to the public c.2012, and the pub has been converted into residential apartments called Royal Oak Court. Thankfully the superb latticed brewery windows have been retained – a credit to the developers.
Map Reference: SU 214998
Owner in 1891: Mrs S.C. Scriven , 39 St. Johns, Bedford. (leased Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1891: £8.17s.8d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Mrs S.C. Scriven, 39 St. Johns, Bedford. (leased Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1903: £8.17s.8d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1891,1903 William Tovey
1939 Philip Walter Griffin (Oak Inn)
1999 June Turner (retired in July 1999)
1999 Michael and Leslie Hackett
2008 Craig Morse