First mentioned in 1719, the Royal Oak was trading in Newent’s Market Place in 1891 when it was tied to the Forest Brewery in Mitcheldean. The pub was fully licensed and had an annual rateable value of £16.0s.0d.
There is no mention of the Royal Oak twelve years later in 1903 suggesting that it had closed in the reign of Queen Victoria,
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1830 William Powell
1856 T. Webley
1885 John Barnes
1891 Thomas Webb