The Royal Oak was in the Square and was de-licensed in the 1930’s. In 1928 the property was included in an inventory of Stroud Brewery property with ‘2 condemned cottages adjoining.’ The Royal Oak was probably somewhere near to (or on the site of) the present day Stonehouse Post Office.
Rateable Value in 1891: £12.10s.0d.
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Rateable Value in 1903: £18.0s.0d.
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1891 Joshua Merrett (died 1912)
1903 Frederick White