The Royal Oak was originally located on the corner of Bradley Street and Haw Street and the license was transferred to the existing premises in 1864. The old pub became a police station. An old photograph below shows that the Royal Oak sold beer from the Godsell and Son’s Brewery in Stroud.

Royal Oak - Wotton-Under-Edge
The Godsell & Sons Fine Ales & Stout sign on the wall would have looked like this below:
The Royal Oak is just beyond the horses on the left (writing just visible on the wall)
Godsell’s probably bought the Royal Oak from the estate of the Coombe Valley Brewery. The sale particulars concerning the Royal Oak are detailed above.

Gloucester Journal, Monday 3rd September 1990 – Old pub is reborn: Martin Read, field operations director for Whitbread Pub Partnerships, South West Region, pulled the traditional first pint at the Royal Oak in Wotton-under-Edge after a major refit at the pub. More than £100,000 has been spent by Whitbread on the 300-year-pld listed pub and period features have been retained. The Royal Oak, run by licensees Brian and Jean Ingram for the last 14 years, now has a 28-seat restaurant and extended bar.

Martin Read was delighted to be opening this very successful pub within the Whitbread estate. He commented on what made this and any other good pub successful. He stated: “There are three vital ingredients; the quality of what’s on offer, the ambience that is created and the welcome by the landlord, landlady and their staff. Most good pubs offer similar things, good food, good products and a growing range of additional leisure and family facilities.”

“The one ingredient that makes a pub like the Royal Oak stand out is often the most important, the contribution of the licensees.” Mr Read said. “In the case of the Royal Oak we have in Jean and Brian Ingram two truly professional licensees, who have the drive and energy to make their business succeed. Whitbread are proud to be in partnership with them.”

Owner in 1891: Mrs Osbourne (free from brewery tie)

Rateable Value in 1891: £32.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Annie Maria Osbourne (free from brewery tie)

Rateable Value in 1903: £32.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Heritage: West Country Ales plaque in situ

Landlords at the Royal Oak include:

1755 William Harrald

1820,1830  Richard Wiles

1842 Elizabeth Wiles

1847 William Wiles and Lydia Rose (owners)

1849,1863 William Wiles

1867 Nathaniel Howell

1871,1875 David Perrett

1879 Elizabeth Perrett (Mrs)

1881 George John P. Holloway (born Worcester in 1853)

1885,1891 Joseph Osborne (see New Inn, Long Street)

1899 J. Osborne (wine merchant)

1902,1903 Annie Maria Osborne (Mrs)

1906 Hy. Jones Leighterton

1910 Tom Derrett

1916 Mrs Lear

1920 W.E. Dodman

1921 F.A. Rowland

1923,1928 Charles Albert Burfitt

1933,1934 E. Hunt

1935-1957 James Cooke

1957-1976 Leslie Francis Woodford (moved from the White Hart in North Nibley)

1976-1998 Jean and Brian Ingram (moved from the Star Inn, Kingswood

1999 Patrick and Deborah Mussell (son-in-law of Jean and Brian Ingram)

2003 Mark and Lesley Austin

2008 Chris Layton

Above: Photos from St Georges Meal 23rd April 2015 – This was an annual occurrence when Aubrey Wood was landlord. Tony Bryant is the man with the birds of prey.

Share this Page: