The Royal Oak was at No 1. Gloucester Road, the first building behind the Kings Head Hotel. After closure it became the Old Oak Sale Room.
In 1891 the Royal Oak is described as an alehouse and had an annual rateable value of £12.0s.0d. It was trading as a free house, with no brewery tie, and the owner was Thomas M. Edwards.
There is no mention of the Royal Oak in the 1903 Gloucestershire licensing book, but contemporary records indicate that the Stroud Brewery Company had acquired the Royal Oak in 1900.
The license of the Royal Oak must have been under review as the Stroud Brewery were prompted to relinquish the license of the Lamb Inn in Gloucester Road in favour of the Royal Oak – the sacrificial Lamb! However, it was the Royal Oak that did not have its license renewed and it closed c1910.
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1830 Richard Edwards
1837,1839 William Court
1852,1856 Mrs Maria White
1870 James Barnard
1876 Charles Keyse (Charles moved to the Orepool Inn, Sling – he was there in 1894)
1885 Tom White
1891 Arthur White