The Cirencester Brewery purchased the Royal Oak (with ‘agricultural buildings’) on 11th February 1920. The Royal Oak, at the bottom of Gumstool Hill, is the finishing point of the annual Woolsack Races.
There will be an updated description and further history of the Royal Oak soon.
Owner in 1891: Reverend T.G. Horwood (leased to Cripps & Co., Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Reverend W. Thomson (Leased to Cripps & Co., Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £15.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Owner in 1920: Cirencester Brewery
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1830,1844 William Lewis
1856 B. Purnell
1885 Samuel Beard
1891,1902 Henry Beale
1903,1906,1919 Charles Jones
1927,1939 William Jones
1993 Lyndon ‘Lyn’and Judy Parry Booth (moved to Ormonds Head)
1999 Patrick, Sandra and Luke
2003 John and Glen Seer