Numbered 70 Gloucester Street in 1919. The present day address is 102 Gloucester Street.

2004
2006

The Royal Oak was a Courage tied house in the 1970’s / 1980’s and was eventually sold to Ushers of Trowbridge, later being acquired by Punch Taverns. The Royal Oak closed in the summer of 2007, yet its future hung in the balance for another 2 years and September 2008 the decision over its future was uncertain. The Royal Oak was no longer licensed in 2009 and has since been converted to residential use.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery

Rateable Value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.

Type of license in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.

Type of license in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Current Owners: Punch Taverns (2005)

Landlords at the Royal Oak include:

1830 Richard Harrison (Royal Oak Tavern)

1840 Geo. Tovey

1856 J. Stone

1871 Joseph Williams

1885,1891  John Hinks

1902,1948  Job Herbert Sheppard (retired in 1948 after 50 years)

1972-1992 Ray and Yvonne Helsdon

1998 Roger and Angie Duffield

2004 Carol Carey

Share this Page: