The Cotswold stone building is at least 300 years old. It was sold to the Stroud Brewery in 1903 by the Huntley family of Boxwell Court.
The Tippler, the newsletter for the Gloucestershire branch of CAMRA gave this account of the Royal Oak in December 1982: ‘Near to the Wiltshire boundary, a mile off the A46 Bath Road, is the Royal Oak in the small village of Leighterton. It is a stone building at the crossroads, with the car park across a private road at the back. You enter through a glazed vestibule, and walk through one of the two gaps in an internal wall to reach the bar. This is a pub that used to have three bars which have knocked into one, while the original wall behind the bar has completely gone and the serving area pushed back to make more drinking space. In order to keep the building up a section of wall has been left which partly cuts off the bar counter area from most of the room. There is a good selection of beers including a choice of ‘ordinary’ bitters which give an evenings drinking without getting sloshed. The most popular beers are Butcombe and Hook Norton Best Bitter. There is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, the landlord spreading good cheer equally among visiting drinkers and locals alike. The Royal Oak has two darts teams and two cribbage teams, which play in the local league. A very unusual feature is the pictures on the walls. There are several frames containing first day covers from the landlords stamp collection. Apart from the stone wall around the old fire place, the other walls and the ceiling have an irregular patterned plaster finish which adds to the informal atmosphere. There is a good choice of light meals, hot or cold, which are served at lunchtime and until 9 pm in the evening. There are also Sunday lunches. The lack of any music, nor even the sounds of fruit machines and space invaders, does not spoil the enjoyment at the Royal Oak.’
Map Reference: ST 824912
Owner in 1891: Huntley’s trustees (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £14.7s.6d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Reverend O.C. Huntley
Rateable value in 1903: £14.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1856 G. Hooper
1885 William Morse
1891 Elizabeth Morse
1902 Harry Jones
1903,1919 Henry Jones
1927 Orlando Jones
1939 G. Bristow
1985 Mike and Eileen McAsey (Mike was a former car spares supplier based in Cainscross. The Royal Oak was a new venture, having no previous experience in the pub trade)
? – Frank and Barbara Adams
2000 Andrew and Rachel Milson Clifford
2003 Reg and Lynette Quinlan
2004,2005 Carol Butt and Annette Wakefield