The first reference to the Royal Forester at Pillowell dates from 1843. William Worgan was the owner and occupier of the Royal Forester in 1891 when it was a free house. The annual rateable value was £12.0s.0d. and it was licensed as a beer house. By 1903 the Royal Forester was tied to Francis Wintle’s Forest Brewery. Closing time was at 10 pm.
When the Forest Brewery in Mitcheldean put their business and properties up for sale in 1923 the Royal Forester was included and described as a ‘freehold beer house’ and a ‘very nice compact stone-built property’. On the ground floor there was a bar, smoke room, beer store and two kitchens. On the first floor there was three bedrooms and a club room. Outside there was a good garden, brick-built stabling for two, pig cots, urinal, etc., occupying an area of about half an acre. The details went on to say ‘the property is of freehold tenure and let to Mr Thomas James, a tenant of about 16 years standing, on quarterly tenancy at the low rent of £30 per annum.’
The Royal Forester closed in 1958. The property in Upper Road is now in residential use and is named ‘The Foresters’.
Landlords at the Royal Forester include:
1853 William Dobs
1876 Benjamin Bowen
1891 William Worgan
1903 John Halford
1908-1930 Thomas James (died in 1930, licence transferred to Mary James)
1939-c1948 Mary James