The Royal Arms was on the corner of Bath Road and Burdett Road, near to the GWR Railway Station. There was an elaborate coat of arms above the window on the front corner of the building.
The Royal Arms was a classic locals pub with real character. ‘Real ale in Gloucestershire’ (CAMRA) described the Royal Arms as a “friendly local with plenty of banter”. The Whitbread P.A. served in the Royal Arms in the late 1970’s / early 1980’s was one of the best pints of P.A. in Gloucestershire.
In the early 1990’s the Royal Arms was purchased by Wycliffe College. The pub ceased trading soon afterwards. Before demolition the West Country Ales plaque on the front of the pub was removed with permission – it now graces the front of an old pub in Upton Bishop in Herefordshire (which had ‘lost’ its own plaque).
The Royal Arms was demolished in the summer of 1998. A small housing development now occupies the site.
Rateable Value in 1891: £17.15s.0d
Owner in 1891: Sidney Biddell (leased to Stroud Brewery)
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Rateable Value in 1903: £28.0s.0d.
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Royal Arms include:
1885,1981 James Hillman
1903 Eliza Harriett Gibbins
1939 Mrs Lilian Aldridge