Rose and Crown passage is between 219 and 221 High Street.
The Archer family, hosts in 1878, had horse racing connections (see the Kings Arms, Prestbury).
Jacob Silk was the owner of the Rose & Crown Inn in 1891, he also owned the grocer’s shop a few doors away in the premises that is now the Stagecoach office. The lease of the ale house was taken by the Cheltenham Original Brewery. The annual rateable value was set at £37.5s.0d., and it remained at the same level throughout the next twelve years to the 1903 licensing returns. Jacob Silk had died in the preceding years and the ownership of the Rose & Crown was in the hands of his executors. The lease had apparently been relinquished by the local brewery (the Original Brewery was just yards away and the smells of brewing would have filled the air), as in 1903 Flowers & Sons of Stratford on Avon had got the lease of the Rose & Crown.
The Rose and Crown closed in 1980 and was demolished soon afterwards. In its final years it had acquired a dubious reputation and was known as a cider drinkers pub.
Landlords of the Rose & Crown include:
1830 Benjamin Chapman
1844 Joseph Chapman
1859 George Bowl
1878 William Archer
1881 Albert Archer
1883,1885 William Henry Ireland
1891 Samuel William Strange
1902,1903 Charles Craddock (Charles Clement Craddock in 1903)
1906 Fred Goulding
1919 Frank William Chadwick
1926,1927 John Houghton (John Rouse Houghton in 1926)
1939 Charles Beckingham