Shortwood is to the west of Nailsworth. The Rising Sun was originally situated to the rear of Nodes Cottages (GL6 0SN) before the license was transferred to new premises in 1870. The first Rising Sun was nicknamed the ‘Rotten Rail’. Access to the pub was gained over a plank bridge with a rotten handrail across a stream. Customers who had too much to drink often found themselves head first in the steam after slipping off the plank!

‘The Rotten Rail’ (courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives)
Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives

When the ‘new’ pub was opened it was tied to the Forwood Brewery in Minchinhampton (Playne’s & Sons). The Rising Sun became a Stroud Brewery pub in 1897. In 1891 and 1903 the Rising Sun had one of the lowest annual rateable values in the whole of Gloucestershire – just four pounds and fifteen shillings. The property is now residential.

Map Reference: ST 838994 (approx)

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: George Playne & Sons. Forwood Brewery, Minchinhampton

Rateable value in 1891: £4.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Full licence

Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £4.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Full licence

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Rising Sun include:

1881 Edward Wright

1885 Albert Wright (son of Edward)

1891 George Poole

1902 William Humphreys

1903,1939 George Robert Melsome

Share this Page: