The Restoration Inn was owned by Clarence Mason Dobell & Cyrus Faulkner Dobell in 1891 and 1903. The premise licence was for an ale house and during that time the annual rateable value remained constant at £97.15s.0d. Dobell’s was free from brewery tie.

Restoration Inn - High Street, Cheltenham
John Dobell & Co. Wine & Spirit Merchants

The 15th century Restoration Inn, located on the eastern side of the junction of Grosvenor Street (click to see road map), is probably Cheltenham’s oldest pub. It was trading when Cheltenham was just a small linear settlement straddled along the River Chelt. It is thought that the landlord in c1660 changed the name of the pub in honour of the Restoration of King Charles II to the throne of England. In the second half of the nineteenth century the firm of John Dobell & Co. acquired the Restoration Inn. John Dobell & Co had been founded in 1836 as a wine and spirit merchant and operated from bonded warehouse in the Lower High Street. The business built up a small chain of pubs of which four were in Cheltenham – the White Hart, Britannia, St Albans and the Restoration. All of these took on a distinct corporate identity, featuring sparse surroundings, the best quality drinks, the widest choice, the largest measures and the lowest prices in town. The pubs attracted all members of society, both rich and poor. In 1958 the business of Dobell’s was acquired by Friary, Holroyd and Healey Ltd of Guildford. They, in turn, were taken over by Allied Breweries in 1964. For the next twenty five years or so the Restoration was an Ind Coope selling Double Diamond keg beer.

Over the years internal refurbishment and modernisation have altered the original layout of the pub beyond all recognition.

The Citizen, Monday October 4th, 1982: Facelift for Historic Building – The oldest standing building in Cheltenham – the Restoration Inn – is to undergo a spot of restoration. The pub has been bought by Inn Leisure Ltd., the Gloucestershire based company which owns 20 wine bars and real ale public houses including Corkers in Barton Street, the largest wine bar in the Southwest of England. Managing director Mr Michael Cannon, has promised that every facet possible of the original character of the pub will be retained.

The banner boasts that the Restoration was listed in the Good Beer Guide 2006.
The impressive selection of cask ales.

In October 2007 the pub had another refurbishment and opened as Varsity- a bar aimed at the student market and the younger drinking set.

Street Map

The Restoration Inn is now owned by Butcombe Brewery.


Landlords / Proprietors of the Restoration Inn include:

1891,1903 Clarence Mason Dobell & Cyrus Faulkner Dobell

2004 Tracy Parnell (manager)

2004,2006 Ian Newbold

2007 Nick Richardson (Varsity at the Restoration)

Share this Page: