33 Barton Street in original numbering system. The Red Rover was tied to the Cheltenham Original Brewery in 1897, one of only two pubs in Gloucester to sell Cheltenham Ales at that time. The other Cheltenham Original Brewery pub was the Star Inn on the Quay. The location of the Red Rover Inn would have been very near to the present day Doctor’s pub. A 1906 City directory lists the Red Rover Inn as being between St Michaels Terrace (between 41 and 39 Barton Street) and Clarence Terrace (between 17 and 15 Barton Street).
Gloucester Journal: June 23rd, 1877 – John Griffiths was charged with using obscene language towards Sarah Davis. The parties are neighbours, living in a court adjoining the Red Rover Inn, Barton Street. Mrs Davis complained that defendant had cursed her “up and down” and continued it for some time. He was fined five shilling and costs and bound over in his own recognisance to keep the peace for three months.
Landlords at the Red Rover include:
1856 T. Carter
1859 Henry Mead (Rover, Barton Street)
1879 J. Pratt
1885 Nathaniel Gay
1893 L. Hogg
1902 Albert Walkley
1906 Charles Kiddle