The Red Lion, a timber framed building, is recorded at being at Lower Northgate Street in Pigots 1830 directory and 41 Northgate Street in a 1919 directory.
In the Gloucester Journal of 1750 it was described as ‘an ancient and well accustomed inn.’
The Red Lion was on the right hand side of Northgate Street from the Cross, between St Johns Place and Market Parade. The Shakespeare Inn at 49 Northgate Street was nearby.
The Red Lion was referred to the compensation authority on 3rd February 1919. It was a tied house of Arnold Perrett & Co., Wickwar Brewery.
The building was demolished in the mid 1970’s. During demolition halfpennies and pennies from the 18th century were found under the floorboards in what had been the old bar. Scratched on the pane of glass on a first floor window were the etchings of four names – Jos Chester, Sukey Harris, Betsy Harris and Polly Rayer 27th March 1770. Research of the graffiti revealed that Joseph Chester was, at the time, curate of Sandhurst church. Sukey, Betsy and Polly were prostitutes. One has to wonder if Joseph was upstairs at the same time!
Landlords at the Red Lion include:
1830 John Cook
1856,1859 C.T. Lewis
1879,1885 John Rowland
1893 Mrs Griffiths
1902 William James Aggio
1906 William Hy. Griffiths
1911 Henry Berry (born 1883 in Gloucester, died in the First World War 1915 in France)
1919 William Gough