The 16th century building is a mix of Cotswold stone and half-timbered architectural styles. The Cirencester Brewery already owned the Red Lion when the brewery became a Limited Company in 1888.
Frederick Stroud, the landlord listed in the 1919 ‘Kelly’s Directory, was the last person to have a carrier’s business in Northleach with a horse-drawn vehicle. He regularly journeyed about three times weekly between Northleach and Cheltenham and Northleach and Cirencester. Frederick’s wife, Mrs Jane Stroud, ran the pub for many years after his death. Jane was affectionately known as ‘Auntie’ to a wide circle of friends and customers. Jane was 80 when she died. The pub had been in the same family for nearly 100 years.
The Red Lion was for many years tied to Courage Brewery but, towards the end of its life as a pub, it became of the Ushers of Trowbridge pub company. It has now closed.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Owner in 1891: Cripps & Co., Cirencester Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £13.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891:
Owner in 1903: Cripps & Co., Cirencester Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £14.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903:
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Red Lion include:
1856 J. Window
1885 Joseph Stroud
1891 Sarah Stroud
1902,1906 Miss Flora Stroud (Flora Matilda Stroud in 1903)
1919 Arthur Frederick Stroud
1927 Mrs Jane Stroud
1939 Harold E. Siford
1999,2001 Steve Heath