The Red Lion is located on the village Crossroads and has a history dating back to 1782.
Tim Swainson, the landlord in the early 1980’s, entertained his customers by riding around the pub on a one-wheeled unicycle. He bought it a Stroud second-hand shop, spent six weeks or so learning how to ride it, and eventually became so adept in riding it he was often seen on it cycling to the village shop. Tim also organised a traditional pillow fighting competition that was held at the pub every August Bank Holiday Monday. Contestants had to try and knock their opponents off a wooden pole by whacking each other with a pillow.
In 1999 the Red Lion closed down in April and remained shut until August. It was put on the market for £149,950. A planning application had been submitted for change of use to residential but Stroud District planning sub-committee rejected the proposal as the pub was a community asset and was a viable business concern.
The Red Lion was put up for auction in 2013 and it was feared that it might be sold to a property developer. Villagers and friends of the Red Lion raised enough finance in just one day to secure the future of the pub, owned by the community. There are now over 100 shareholders.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 708109
Rateable Value in 1891: £19.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable Value in 1903: £10.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Owner in 1928: Stroud Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owners in 1999: Quality Inns of Gloucester
Landlords at the Red Lion include:
1856 J. Fryer
1885 Daniel Hayward
1891 Henry Clayfield
1903 George Ashby
1927,1939 John Stevens
1981-1984 Tim Swainson
1987 Ernest, John and Alan Packman
1998 Robert and Janet Jones
2000 Easton Hogben
2000 Alison Jones (manager)
2002,2005 Janet Codner and Nick Hopson
2022 Mark Redwood