The Red Lion was an ale house and had an annual rateable value of £20.0s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. It closed at 10pm. The Red Lion was opposite the White Horse.

When the brick and stone built Red Lion was put up for auction in 1923 as part of the tied estate of Wintle’s Forest Brewery it was described as ‘freehold and fully licensed situate on the main road within a few yards of the brewery’. The inventory of sale detailed a serving bar, small bar, tap room, two beer stores, pot house and private sitting room on the ground floor. There were five living rooms and a store-room on the first floor – presumably these rooms could also be used as bedrooms. To the rear of the Red Lion was a ‘yard with entrance from main road, coach-house – with two rooms over, harness room, stabling for five with loft over, open cart shed, public urinal, two brick built W.C’s and a small vegetable garden.’

In 1937 the Red Lion had closed and was in use as a Youth Hostel (Lion House). It was demolished in 1984 to make way for a housing development. An archway was retained forming an attractive feature.

Landlords at the Red Lion include:

1830 John Hale

1837,1842 Thomas Wintle

1856 Mrs S. Wintle

1876 William M. Fuggle

1885 John Price

1891 George W. Mayo

1902, 1906 George Newman

1919 Orlando Haines

1927 Alfred James Bullock

Share this Page: