The Railway Inn took its name from the Midland Railway Stonehouse to Nailsworth branch line which ran a few hundred yards to the south of the pub. A short Stroud branch line, terminating at Wallgate Station, left the Stonehouse to Nailsworth branch just to the east of Dudbridge station. The Stroud branch opened in November 1885. The Stroud branch line closed for passenger traffic in 1949 and for goods in 1966.
The Railway Inn stood on the junction of Dudbridge Road and Dudbridge Hill, just above the site of the present day Sainsbury’s Supermarket.
The Railway Inn changed its name to the Junction in the early 1990’s. It closed down late in 1999, after a few turbulent years. The Junction reopened for a short period of time in 2000 as a popular live music venue, but then closed for good.
The old Railway Inn was demolished in July 2003. Thirteen one bedroom flats have since been built on the site. A railway semaphore signal, which was a feature of the pub, was reinstated in the new housing development.
Map Reference: SO 838045
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords at the Railway Inn / Junction Inn include:
1885 John Freeman
1891,1927 Thomas Henry Stephens
1939 Frank Keen
1981,1993 John Brown
1997 Perry Harber
1998 David Crighton
1999 Huw Benjamin
2000 Stan White and Sally Gregg
2000 (Dec) Maureen (Junction Inn)