The Coaley to Dursley branch line opened in September 1856 and Cam was the only intermediate station on the branch. The Railway Inn, just to the west of the station, offered liquid refreshment for passengers for just over a hundred years. The line closed to passenger traffic in September 1962. On Saturday 23rd September 2006 the 150th anniversary of the branch line was commemorated with a traction engine run from the present day Cam & Dursley station to the Railway Inn. Today a grass bank covers the site of Cam railway station but the Railway Inn has survived.

The façade of the pub has altered significantly over the years. Today the front of the pub is clad in Cotswold stone but it used to be a whitewashed building.

Citizen: Thursday, June 1st 1989 – Inn Time: Regulars at the Railway Inn will be seeing double when the pub is reopened tomorrow after a major refit. The bar has almost doubled in size. Licensees Peter and Jenny Davies will also be offering food for the first time at the pub in Cam, near Dursley. Local councillor Ken Hall, himself a regular, will perform the re-opening.

Map Reference: SO 754003

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Box & Moreland (leased to Richard Chapman, Dursley Brewery)

Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903:  Thomas William Elvy, Dursley Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Owner in  2005: Punch Taverns

Landlords at the Railway include:

1885 William Walter Shipton

1891,1903 Joseph Ball (Joseph Cox Ball in 1902)

1906,1939 Joseph Ireland

1980 Wally & Hazel Frost

2000, 2006 – John Sweet

2020 Sharon Brimble

Share this Page: