The name of the Railway Inn refers to the Monmouth & Forest of Dean Tram road that was in operation between 1812 and 1872. The tramway ran behind the buildings on the western side of St John Street. The Railway Inn was located on the corner of the Market Place and the eastern side of St Johns Street, opposite the Old White Hart. The property is now Lucky’s Chinese Takeaway.

Lucky’s Chinese Takeaway is on the right of the photograph, the building with the roof window

in 1884 the Railway Inn was leased to Harry Clark, of the Coleford Brewery. It was owned by the trustees of James Dennis. Martin Taylor, the tenant landlord, absconded from the Railway leaving Harry Clark owing the owners money. When he applied for an order to seek a new tenant for the Railway, the renewal of the licence was objected to by the police as at that time there were six licensed premises in St John Street.

In October 3rd 1885 Hullett applied for the renewal of the licence of the Railway Inn on behalf of the trustees of James Dennis. It had been closed for one year. Inspector Ford said that this was not a transfer day, the bench refused the licence as there was no tenant living in the house to which a transfer could be made.

Landlords at the Railway Inn include:

1867, 1870 Edwin Stephens

1884 Martin Taylor (leased to the Coleford Brewery. Owners trustees of James Dennis)

1885 Hullett

Share this Page: