The Railway Hotel was built for the passengers using the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton railway station which was opened in Moreton in 1853. It was once a tied house of Lardner’s Compton Brewery.
When it closed in 1967 the ‘Evesham Journal’ reported that it: ‘was one of those pubs that time seemed to have passed by. To its regulars there was no place like it but for a stranger dropping in, it was like stepping back into a bygone age. Nothing substantial had been done in the way of redecoration this century and the furniture was very much as it had been when Mr. Thomas Hicks took over the premises from his brother, John, in 1907.’
Owner in 1891: Henry Lardner & Sons, Brewers, Little Compton, Warwickshire
Rateable value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Railway Inn include:
1863 Jesse Timms
1876 J.A. Bayliss
1879,1891 Charles Milton
1903 John Hicks
1907,1929 Thomas Hicks (died October 1929)
1929 Mrs Thomas Hicks (died August 1937)
1937 Frederick Hicks (died October 1962, aged 64)
1962,1967 Henrietta Hicks