James Leighton was the owner of the Railway Inn in 1891 and 1903. He was once associated with the Albion Brewery in Gloucester Road (see Brewery Section). The leasehold was taken by the Cheltenham Original Brewery. The annual rateable value throughout those twelve years remained unchanged at £21.5s.0d. The Railway Inn was licensed as a beer house.
The pub is situated on the junction with New Street and Knapp Road. At one time the Railway Inn was a few yards away from the side of the G.W.R. St. James station; within a stones throw of the locomotive turntable.
The Railway Inn was acquired by Banks’s Brewery of Wolverhampton in 1991. Three Cheltenham pubs were purchased, the Mitre, the Victoria and the Railway. It is now a free house.
Landlords at the Railway Inn include:
1859 William Hicks
1891 Ann Mary Cripps
1903 James Edward Hook
1926 John Green
1939 Hy. John Lawrence
2000 Barbara Davis
2007 (March) Ed Anderson