The Railway Inn, on the corner of Station Street and Oldbury Road was a double-fronted, red brick house of two storeys with large ground floor bay windows.
In the 1970’s a large patch of blue bricks lying on the ground indicated the location of the yard of the Railway Inn. The pub faced Station Street on the west – the railway was on the opposite side of the road. There was a small terminus station on the site of the present day Kwik Save, and the branch line ran across the High Street to the Quay.
The Railway Inn closed in 1951. The new Baptist Chapel in nearby Chance Street is on the site of a former level crossing keepers house. Look very carefully in the fence surrounding the chapel and you will see a former crossing gate post still in situ – nothing else of the Branch railway or the Railway Inn survives.
Map Reference: SO 895329
Owner in 1891: William Price (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £32.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (beer & cider licence)
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Railway Inn include:
1869-1891 John Ward
1891-1895 Mrs Ward (widow)
1895-1905 George Edwards
1905-1906 William Smith
1906-1914 Edward Thomas Smith
1914-1938 John Wright
1938-1951 Leonard John Wright