10 Sheep Street in 1919 and latterly 29 Sheep Street. Cirencester G.W.R station, opposite the pub, was a victim of the Beeching cuts in the 1960’s and the Railway Inn pulled its final pints soon afterwards.
The Railway Inn then became the offices of R.A. Bennett & Co., Estate Agents. By the 1990’s the 17th Century building had become unoccupied. An application was submitted to Cotswold District Council in 1995 to convert the old pub into a wine bar. This was initially refused but eventually permission was granted and the premises opened as the ‘Polo Canteen and Brasserie’ in August 1996. In June 2006 the Cotswold stone building was sold opened as the Mayflower, a Cantonese restaurant.
Owner in 1891: E. William Cripps (leased to Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: F.W.B. Cripps., Esq. (leased to Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1903: £20.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Railway Inn include:
1871 John Lock
1885,1906 John Jew (also listed as Timber and Drain Pipe Merchant in 1889)
1913 A. Harman
1919,1927 Augustus Harman
1939 Harold Weaver
1996 Paul Welch (Polo Canteen Brasserie)