The Ragged Cot Inn is in an isolated position to the east of Minchinhampton at Hyde, on the road to Cirencester. The name is possibly an abbreviation of Racquet Court but the name is more likely to refer to the type of stone which decorates the front of the building. The Ragged Cot was built in the early 17th Century –  it is thought that a building has stood there since around 1610. Cooks Tetbury Brewery once supplied the beer. The Ragged Cot was enlarged in 1926 when it was in the ownership of the Stroud Brewery Company.

Oops!

The Ragged Cot is reputedly haunted. One story is that the landlord in 1760, Bill Clavers, was a man of dubious character who was a highwayman. One snowy night he rushed out from the pub in a drunken stupor to rob a passing stagecoach. In his eagerness to get down the stairs he knocked his wife and child down the stairs, ignoring their cries for help. When he returned they were both dead. He was later caught for his crime – his footprints in the snow gave the game away! An alternative version is that the same landlord was an alcoholic and let unsavoury characters frequent the pub. One evening a fight broke out in the premises and, upon hearing the commotion, the landlords wife with her baby in arms, challenged her husband. He lost his temper, told her that the child was not his and threw them both down the stairs in a drunken rage.  The ghostly apparitions of the wife and child have been seen. A previous landlord claims to have seen the ghosts on more than one occasion and the eerie sound of a horse drawn stagecoach is sometimes heard.

Harry Cox, the landlord of the Ragged Cot during the Second World War, was also employed at the nearby Aston Down airfield as a clerk. It was a popular haunt of the airmen based at Aston Down and Harry’s wife even ran the RAF officers’ mess which was based in the pub smoke room. The servicemen called the pub the ‘Jagged Pot’.

The Ragged Cot was taken over by Marstons plc in 2007 and had an extensive refurbishment before re-opening in April 2008. It is leased to Bristol based Kings Clubs Inns. The Ragged Cot specialised in fine food but there was room for anyone who wanted to drop in for a pint.

After a period of closure, the Ragged Cot reopened on the 28th August 2020 after being acquired by The Gastro Pub & Hotel Co. They branded themselves as a contemporary Gastro Pub & Boutique Hotel with a mix of country luxury complimented with superb hospitality. ‘We have a number of public areas as well as 9 hotel rooms to prepare daily for our guests.’

Map Reference: SO 887012

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £15.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Full

Owner in 1903: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £15.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Full

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Owner in 2007: Marstons Plc

Landlords at the Ragged Cot include:

1760 Bill Clavers

1885,1891 Charles Townsend

1902 William Hiron

1903 Henry Hiron

1906,1919 Mrs Harriet Hiron

1927 John H. Kennedy

1932-1948 Harry Cecil Cox

? Ray and May Chew

1991 Margaret & Mike Case

1996,2000 Nick Winch

2001 Simon Taylor (General Manager)

? Andrew George McKenzie

2000 David Savage 

2005 Alastair and Sarah Sadler

2006 David & Mellanie ?

2008 Mike Johnston

2008 Shaun Sapstead (Manager)

Share this Page: