The Queens Head was located a few yards away from the Swan but on the opposite side of Swan Lane. The Foresters Arms stood directly opposite on the western corner of Bream Road. The Queens Head was demolished in the late 1990’s.
The ownership of the Queens Head in both the 1891 and 1903 licensing returns is registered as the ‘representatives of Joseph Taylor’. The administration acting for the late Joseph Taylor also held the Foresters Arms as part of his estate. The Queens Head was licensed as a beer house and had an annual rateable value of £30.17s.6d. in 1891 / 1903, with a closing time set at 11 pm. The Queens Head is one of many Forest of Dean pubs, previously free of brewery tie, that were acquired by the opportunist and rapidly expanding Wickwar Brewery, although Arnold, Perrett & Co. Ltd., only secured the leasehold of this premises.
In January 1949 it was reported that William Price was fined one pound for wilful damage and ordered to pay costs and damages by Lydney Magistrates’ Court for throwing an army thunder-flash, used in battle practice, down the toilet of the Queen Head, Lydney, which ‘blew the toilet pan to pieces.’
Landlords at the Queens Head include:
1870 William Walker
1881,1891 Charles Mills Foxwell
1903 Benjamin Biddle
1939 Thomas Davies
1980,1981 Basil & Peggy James (previously at the Royal Oak, Yorkley. They retired in July 1981 after 29 years as publicans)