There is a reference to the Queens Head in 1859. It probably did not retain its license for much longer as it was later a bakers shop. Early in the twentieth century it became a gentleman’s outfitters.
The building was bought and repaired by the council in 1974 to mark European Architectural Heritage Year. After repair the building became Butties café and most recently Teapots café.
In May 1998 surveyors found evidence of extensive wet rot and beetle attack in the woodwork. The grade II* listed timber framed building was put on the at-risk register by English Heritage. The 15th century building, directly opposite Shire Hall, retains many original features. It was originally built as two small merchant’s houses and still retains the original staircases and the upper storeys have been unchanged. In September 2006 grants totalling £250,000 were secured from the city council, English Heritage, and renovators Swan Developments to start the restoration.