There is a photograph of the premises in the ‘Pubs of the Old Stroud Brewery’ book. It was then run by A.G. Mallett who had been landlord at the Rose Inn, Paganhill certainly between 1891 and 1906 and possibly longer. The photo shows a shop looking frontage with some classic enamel signs attached to the side of the off licence:- Liptons Tea, Hudsons Soap, Colmans Starch and Colmans Mustard. The beers on sale then came from the Stroud Brewery which would indicate a date after 1928. (when Godsell & Sons were acquired by the Stroud Brewery). After the Second World War the premises was extended to create a ‘mini market’ but this is now closed and the property is now residential. The postal codes for Middle Street, Uplands, are GL5 1TG,1TH,1TQ.
Owner in 1891: Ebenezeer Mitchell (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1903: £16.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords / Keepers:
1891 Ebenezeer Mitchell
1903 Harry Wall