The 1891 and 1903 books of licensed premises in Gloucestershire list this establishment as having no name. C.H. Bingham is listed as owner in 1891.
Charles Bingham ran a bakers and confectioners next to the Corn Hall (later became Barclays Bank) for nearly forty years. He was the elder brother of Daniel Bingham who endowed money to the town to build the Bingham Hall.
Annie Wilton is listed as the licensee in 1903. There was a Wilton’s British Coffee House in the Market Place next to the Sun (now part of the Fleece Hotel). Wilton’s British Coffee House was directly opposite the Corn Hall.
Local historians Philip Griffiths and Rick Martin have made a suggestion that Ann Wilton might have applied for an occasional licence to provide alcohol in the Corn Hall.
More research is needed.
Owner in 1891: C.H. Bingham (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1891: £40.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Richard Cole (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £40.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Beerhouse
1891 Charles Hy. Bingham
1903 Annie Wilton