A reference in the Gloucester Record Office (D2308 1/5) states that the landlord of the Poulton Inn took two shillings, one and a half pennies in a fortnight and describes the nearest pub to the Poulton Inn as being the Bird in Hand – one mile away in Awre.
The Gloucestershire Chronicle in 1870 mentions the Poulton Inn as being in Awre. The post code for Poulton Court Cottages is GL14 1ES.
Although the actual entry in the 1891 Petty Sessional Licensing Book simply states the owner as ‘Crown’, this is probably the Official Office of the Crown. Designated beer house status it had an annual rateable value of £23.0s.0d., a value that was unchanged twelve years later. The Poulton was free from brewery tie and had a six-day license, presumably closing on the Sabbath. In 1903 it called ‘last orders’ at 11 pm.
Landlords at the Poulton Inn include:
1869 Charles Morse
1870 Charles Griffiths
1876 James Higgs, jnr. (beer retailer and fruit dealer. Listed under Eltoe and Hagloe)
1891,1903 James Higgs (James A. Higgs in 1903)