See also Original Stout House.

Gloucestershire Chronicle January 29th 1870: Cheltenham. Fire. An alarm of fire was given at about five o’clock on Sunday evening. Smoke was seen to issue from a Porter Store in St Georges Place belonging to Mr Box. No one was in the house at the time. Mr Box and family residing some two miles from his business premises. The place was emptied by the police and some relatives of Mr Box and the smoke was found to be issuing from the counter of the drinking bar. The fire was soon extinguished. The house is opened on Sundays from one until three and on Sunday evening. The fire originated from a gas burner used for warming refreshments. The damage done was trifling.

Share this Page: