The Plough Inn was located on the A4136 directly opposite the western entrance to Old Hill. The distinctive Grade II listed memorial to local men killed in the First World War, a recumbent lion on a stone pedestal, would have overlooked the inn. The rear of the Plough would have backed on to Velthouse Lane.
The Plough Inn was trading as a free house in 1891 and was owned by Emily Drew with George Godwin in occupancy as landlord. In early Edwardian times the pub had been sold to Wintle’s Forest Brewery. They also owned the Dursley Cross Inn. The annual rateable value of the alehouse was £17.0s.0d.
Gloucester Journal. August 1891: An accident of a serious character took place at the Plough Inn at Longhope on Tuesday by the uncoupling of a wagon attached to a traction engine belonging to Messrs. Matthews & Hengler. The engine was ascending the hill with a couple of trucks, the last having a load of about three tons upon it, when the coupling either broke or became unfastened, and the truck ran down the hill at a terrific rate. When opposite the Plough Inn it ran into the inn, smashing the bow window and a great deal of glass inside; the counter was also split in two. Fortunately for those inside, a large historical stone, which has stood outside the window for years, considerably broke the force of the collision otherwise the occupants of the smaller inner room must have been crushed. Mr Matthews was present, and at the risk of his own life did all that was possible to avert the accident.
When the property of Wintles’ Forest Brewery in Mitcheldean was put up for sale in 1923 the Plough Inn was described as ‘freehold and fully licensed stone-built premises, well situate for business on the main Huntley-Mitcheldean Road.’ The ground floor consisted of a bar, smoke room, tap room, kitchen, beer store, coal house, store-room and back kitchen. There were three bedrooms, a box room and a club room on the first floor. To the rear of the property there was a ‘small garden, two closets, urinal and timber erection of store shed. Nice orchard, three pig cots, and large building, etc’.
Albert John Brain was a long serving tenant at the Plough who first served Wintle’s beers in 1907 and retired in the early 1960’s when the pub was a West Country Ales house. After Albert died in 1966 his son-in-law took over the Plough as licensee.
Gloucestershire County Council compulsory purchased the Plough Inn to facilitate road improvements and improve visibility. The new course of the A4136 was built across the site of the Plough Inn. Regulars tried to save the pub but to no avail. The Plough Inn called ‘last orders’ for the final time in May 1973 prior to demolition. Campaigners noted that the Plough Inn had ‘many attractions such as a preserved wooden mantelpiece which bears underneath it the trademark of the craftsman who made it, and an unusual carved ceiling in an upstairs room where sing-songs are regularly enjoyed.’
Landlords at the Plough Inn include:
1863 John Hobbs
1885,1891 George Godwin
1902,1903 Mrs Elizabeth Godwin
1906 Frederick Aston Phelps
1907, 1960 – Albert John Brain (died in 1966)
1973 Mr and Mrs Poulton