The Plough Inn had an annual rateable value of  £14.10s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. (10 p.m. closing time). The building is at least 300 years old and was originally cottages. The building was rebuilt in 1870. The Plough was leased to the Stroud Brewery Company.

In the summer of 1991 the tenant of the Plough, rugby star Nigel Scrivens, left the pub following a disagreement with the owners Whitbread over their future plans for the Plough.  Nigel claimed that as tenants they faced an uncertain future because of a Government ruling forcing major brewers such as Whtbread to sell off pubs in their estate. Nigel and his wife Sharon put the blame on Whitbread for their financial hardship. He said: “We kept trying to find out what was going to happen to the Plough but no-one would tell us or give us any guidance at all.”

This page will be updated with additional information.

Map Reference: SP 015033

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: William Mann (leased Stroud Brewery)

Rateable Value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: Trustees of William Mann (leased Stroud Brewery)

Rateable Value in 1903: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Plough Inn include:

1885 Alfred Mullis

1891 George Freeman

1903 Rhoda Freeman

1913 Mr J.M. Jewell

1932 Sarah Jewell

1939 Charles W.E. Moss

1969-1990 Michael and Jean Gardner (moved from Kings Arms, Brimscombe)

1991 Nigel and Sharon Scrivens

1999 Mike Wells

– Cherie Tancock and Ellwyn Simpson

2008 Jane and Joe Bouaouni

Share this Page: