The Plough Inn was on the south-western corner of the Bamfurlong crossroads on the B4063 Old Gloucester Road. The Plough, a plain brick built building, ceased trading in the mid 1980’s and has since been converted to business premises called, rather confusingly, White Lion House.
There is a wartime story about the Plough that recalls how a young pilot crashed his Tiger Moth to the rear of the pub. Struggling from the wreckage, he staggered into the pub to order a stiff drink – and was told by the landlord he’d have to wait his turn to be served, just like all the other crashed pilots who came into the bar.
A vintage motorcycling club applied for planning permission in October 1984 for a club headquarters adjoining the Plough Inn. The application was refused by Tewkesbury Borough Council on the grounds that the design and materials were inappropriate for such a prominent site; were not suitable for the rural area, and would mean the loss of several mature trees.
Map Reference: SO 891224
Owner in 1891: James Tanner (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: James Tanner (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £16.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Plough Inn include:
1861 William Lane (Innkeeper and Wheelwright in 1861 census)
1885 John Snook
1891 Annie Snook
1902,1927 Thomas Grinnell
1939 Mrs Blanche Grinnell