Situated just outside Gloucester city boundaries on the old Bristol Road. The Plough Inn changed its name in 1988 to Friar Tucks – a reference to the fact that the establishment is now completely orientated towards food. Whitbread spent £135,000 on refurbishing the pub into a traditional friendly inn. The new name was thought up by Val Vickery from Bazeley Road, Gloucester, who won a competition to rename the pub.
Map Reference: SO 811145
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £38.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owners in 1999: Quality Inns of Gloucester Ltd.
1891 James Harris
1902, 1906 William Guilding
1919 Albert Job Such
1927 John Ivor Edwards
1936 Mrs J. Edwards
1939 Mrs Harriet K. Edwards
1957 Albert Edward Bailes
1989 Easton and Alison Hogben (Friar Tuck)
2005 Mark and Gillian Glanville (The Friar Tuck)