It is thought that the Plough Inn was located on the left-hand side of the road heading towards Littledean just before the parish boundary with Popes Hill. The Greyhound Inn at Popes Hill would have been just a few yards away on the right side of the road. This area of Elton was known as Blackmore’s Hale and consisted of scattered cottages of which one housed the Plough Inn. In 1785 the inn was described as a ‘Messuage at Blackmores Hall known by the sign of the Plough with a garden orchard.’
The 1891 licensing book of Gloucestershire does not list the Plough, and it is likely that it had ceased trading by 1880. Sarah Barnett is listed as grocer and inn keeper in the 1851 census, aged 50. She was also there five years later in 1856. In the 1876 Morris Commercial Directory Charles Mitchell is listed as a beer retailer in Elton. Heather Hurley in her book ‘Pubs of the Royal Forest of Dean’ suggests that the license of the Plough might have been relinquished in favour of the Greyhound Inn.