The Plough Inn had an annual rateable value of £17.0s.0d. in 1891 but this had increased to £37.10s.0d. in 1903. The original Plough Inn was about 100 yards behind the existing pub, which probably explains the discrepancies between the rates. The existing Plough Inn, however, was built in 1824. The ‘old’ pub is now a cottage.

The original Plough Inn.

The Plough closed down in the Summer of 2003 but, thankfully, it has since re-opened and remodelled into the Plough Micro Pub.

Since becoming a micro-pub permission was sought and houses were built on the car park.

Plough - Charfiels - Mounted Head
Mounted Wildebeest (or is it a Gnu)
The bar as a micro pub.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: John Daniel Heaven (free from brewery tie)

Rateable Value in 1891: £17.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £37.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm


Landlords at the Plough Inn include:

1885,1891 John Daniel Heaven

1902, 1906 William Pearce Hadley

1919,1927 Osbourne Bye (Osborne in 1927)

1939 Mrs Ellen Bye

1999 Debbie Brown

Share this Page: