The Pilot Inn is on the banks of the Gloucester and Sharpness canal to the east of Hardwicke. Although free of brewery tie in Edwardian times the Pilot Inn later became tied to the Stroud Brewery. The Pilot Inn became a popular attraction for visitors from Gloucester who could arrive at the pub by boat and alight on a landing stage that had direct access to the pub’s garden.
Day trippers on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal in the summer of 2006 were bemused to see red eared terrapins on the banks of the canal near the Pilot Inn, with a report of a three foot cayman alligator being seen chasing a duck near the Pilot Inn!
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 797135
Rateable Value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence 1n 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Samuel Phelps of Elmore (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Samuel Phelps (free from brewery tie)
(Samuel Phelps, the owner in 1903, is listed as being of the Eastgate Vaults, Gloucester)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Pilot Inn include:
1856 N. Hawkins
1885,1891,1897 Edward Jenner
1902 Edward Charles Edwards
1903 Charles George Edwards 1906,1919 Albert S. Phelps
1927 Charles Gibbons
1936,1939 George Downton
1974 Bill & Lilian Church
1982 Sam & Vivienne Wilson
2002 Kim Wakelam
2004 Jane and Jonathon Hill (also licensees of the Star Inn, Hardwicke)
2006 Karen Tucker (manager)